Blooms for the Home: Summer DIY Flower Arrangement


floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

A few weeks ago I created a little arrangement for my Grandma and Mom's birthday party. I know a lot of my readers love flowers as much as I do (which is a lot…clearly! :)) so I decided to do another Floral  Recipe for you. 

- White Hydrangea
- Dahlia (I did both this berry color and a few lighter purples)
- Alstroemeria
- Roses
- Carnation (I only used one that had opened a lot, looking more like a peony!)
- Freesia
- Filler (berry type flower…didn't get the name of it!)

floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms, flower recipe


1. Start with your vessel and tape it off into sections so the stems have a foundation and aren't leaning over in the vase.


2. Start with your big flower. I placed my hydrangea first, on opposite sides of one another.
floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

3. Add in the next largest flower. I positioned the Dahlias next to the Hydrangea. 
floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

4. Fill in with Alstroemeria.  (This is the back side of the arrangement!) 
floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

5. Next I added a few specialty flowers, like the roses, into holes to fill the gaps.
floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

floral arrangement, DIY flower arrangement, Flower centerpiece, tutorial, flowers, blooms,

Tips:
- Make the grid with scotch or floral tape before starting!
- Cut stems at an angle so they can best soak up all the water they need.
- Clean the flowers, meaning remove all leaves and excess buds below the water line.
- Don't pack the flowers in tightly in a perfectly round shape. To get that whimsical feel, place some blooms in at angles and let some stems stay longer than others, giving it height.

Hopefully this helps inspire you to bring home some beautiful blooms!

Happy Tuesday! Exciting announcement coming tomorrow :)
xoxo

Photobucket

8 comments

  1. Wow Michaela! I never think to use magic tape on my vases, but will be buying up stock to do this. I love hydrangeas and Dahlias, they're so pretty. I had pale blue hydrangeas in my wedding bouquet, they were stunning. I never think to get them when I am out, you've inspired me to buy flowers other than the usual roses ;)

    Sophie x

    www.sophiesunshinesathome.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful arrangement! I will remember this when I have to create something for a shower!

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
  3. So helpful! How have I never seen the tape trick before?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful...pinning!! also the tape thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This is beautiful! Great tip with the tape, I will have to remember that!

    Katie
    Hearthavenhome.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful! As a fellow Michigan-der, where do you get all of these beautiful individual stems?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! If you have a specific question, please email me at hello@michaelanoelledesigns.com. I always reply to emails! Have a blessed day! xoxo

Back to Top